Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Alexander has arrived!!

My baby boy is here! Alexander Jacob Hatton was born July 14, 2009 at 7:43 pm. I'll tell you how it all happened.

I noticed that my ankles, hands, and face were becoming swollen. I called my OB office and explained what was happening. They told me to drink a big glass of juice, and to lay down for an hour. They wanted me to keep track of movements for 30 minutes. I did as they told and did not feel one movement. I called them back after laying down for that hour and told them. They asked me to come into the office for a NST. I went in and they hooked me up to the monitor. There we only a few recorded movements on the NST. They told me they didn't like what was happening with his lack of movement so they sent me over to triage in maternity. Once there I got dressed in the hospital gown and hooked up to the monitors. I texted DH and told them they were sending me to the hospital. He got there shortly after. They took some blood work and had me go for an ultrasound. The ultrasound was like a test for the baby. They wanted to measure his movement, fine motor movement, breathing, and a few other things...then they would give him a score. I only felt one movement during that whole time. By this time, Erek had left to go get the boys taken care of. I went back to the triage room. My OB came in and said she didn't like how his heartrate was staying at the baseline. She was worried if she put me into labor that Alex wouldn't handle it well. I told her I had a weird feeling, like something wasn't right. So we decided to do an emergency c-section. I texted DH again and told him to get his butt to the hospital, as we were having a baby today. As soon as the OB walked out of the room, my labor nurse walked in and got me ready for the c-section. About 45 seconds later the anestisiologist walked in and told me what was going to happen. DH got there and he got dressed in his operating room gear. They wheeled me down to the operating room. They had him out within minutes. Erek almost passed out while they were operating on me so they had him sit down outside of the operating room. He ended up having a twisted cord, like a coil and there was a blood clot in his cord as well. He was born blue and not really breathing. They got him breathing and whisked him off to the NICU. The OB said if we hadn't of gotten him out when we did, he probably would have been a stillborn within the next few days. They got me sewn up and wheeled to recovery. By this time, everyone in the family knew he was here. After a few hours they took me down to the NICU to see my baby boy. He was pink and beautiful! He had a full head of dark hair.

He ended up having to stay in the NICU for about 10 days, but he's finally home and he's doing great. I still can't believe he's here already! He is such a great baby! I love him so much already. During his stay in the NICU, I was going to the hospital 6x a day for feedings. It was tiring, especially having just had a c-section. We are both doing well and adjusting to life with a newborn. We saved his life that day, he is my miracle baby for sure!

No comments: